August 20, 2011

What I Know


'Write what you know.' That was the mantra rehashed by my journalism professors year after year. That, and 'omit needless words.' Since using the latter as a theme for this post would produce a snooze-fest, let's go with the first. Plus it's back-to-school season--what better way to pay homage to those old profs than listing a few things I now know since leaving my Alma mater. Here goes:

Good listeners are almost always well-liked.

A misshappen vegetable is a sign of a quality product.




A good heel can make a $20 pair of slim Levis look like a million bucks... or actually more like $30.

When in doubt, choose black or white.

Practice makes (almost) perfect.

If my cupboards were filled only with ramekins, I would be just fine.




The most essential kitchen item is a sharp knife.

"Fake it 'till you feel it," actually works.

I like 'having tea', but I don't really like tea itself.

No matter how silent they are, Coldplay will always be quietly churning out a fabulous album.

Never underestimate the power of a (or five) white Hanes cotton t-shirt as a closet staple.

The New Yorker on the iPad has to be one of the best releases in 2011 yet.





What about you? What do you know?

3 comments:

tea_austen said...

I love this, though I don't think fake it 'til you feel it always works. Sometimes, if it's not there, it's never going to be.

I think that's what I know: Don't try too hard to manufacture what isn't there. There's no failure in simply moving on.

:-)

Melinda said...

That's beautiful, thanks tea!

Maddie said...

I know that there's nothing better than a really great hour of yoga. Time spent with just your own thoughts, plus some recognition for all the things your body is capable of? How awesome.

Ditto to everything you said, too. You've got a great collection of truths there, Melinda!